Learn how to:
Create a debit note
Record a debit note to reduce the balance owing on a bill you've recorded in Flare. You'd create a debit note if the vendor issues a credit.
To record a debit note, do the following:
- Click Purchases > Debit Notes in Flare’s main menu (1 and 2 below) and click the Create Debit Note button (3).
- Select a vendor (4 below) and select the vendor’s bill to debit (5).
- Enter / select the item information, including product name, description, chart of accounts expense category that the bill was originally posted to, amount by which the bill will be reduced, and choose a tax (6 above).
- Enter an optional internal note (7 above).
- Click the Save button (8 above).
- Click Purchases > Bills in Flare’s main menu (1 and 2 below) and click the Bill # link (3).
- The bill details show the original bill amount (A below), the debit note that reduces the amount due (B) and the new Total Due (C).
Debit note number settings
Debit note numbers are generated and incremented automatically (starting at "DN-000001") and use the prefix "DN-". By default, debit note numbers have no suffix. The debit note number scheme, prefix and suffix can be changed in debit note number settings.
To change debit note number settings, do the following:
- Click Purchases> Debit Notes in Flare's main menu (1 and 2 below).
- Click the Create Debit Note button (3 below).
- Click the debit note number settings gear icon (4 below).
- Change the debit note number prefix (5 below). Change the debit note number (6 below). If "Auto-generate debit note numbers" is checked, Flare will increment the next debit note number. Enter a debit note number suffix (7 below).
- Click Save (8 above).
View debit notes
To view a list of debit notes, do the following:
- Click Purchases > Debit Notes in Flare's main menu (1 and 2 below).
Flare displays all debit notes you've created.
- Check a checkbox beside a debit note or notes to take an action (see the key to action icons below).
Debit note action icons key
- A debit note. Select one or more to perform actions by clicking action icons located above the debit notes table.
- Email selected debit note.
- Edit selected debit note.
- Print selected debit notes.
- PDF selected debit notes.
- Delete selected debit notes.
- Export selected debit notes as CSV, XLSX/XLS.
- Search for debit notes using search filter criteria.
- Create a new debit note.
Click a debit note row (1 in the image above) to view debit note details.