There are two methods for recording receivables from your previous accounting system. In method 1, before entering other opening balances, create invoices for each receivable balance due. In method 2, enter the total balance of all receivables in Flare's opening balance form. We recommend the first method as you'll have accurate reports, can track receivables by customer, and record payments against individual customer receivables.
Things you’ll need:
- A list of receivable balances due from customers from your previous accounting system, including customer name, due date and balance due.
Method 1: Create invoices for each receivable's balance due
- In Flare's left menu, click Sales > Invoices (1, 2 below), then click the
- On the invoice, create a customer on the fly (1 below), enter a purchase order number if applicable, select an invoice date (same date as the unpaid invoice in your previous system), and terms (same terms as in your previous system). In the Items field, you can create a product/service on the fly (2). Then, enter a description, quantity and select a tax or create a tax on the fly if applicable (3).
- Click Save.
Repeat these steps for each receivable.
See Using Flare > Sales > Create an invoice for more detailed instructions.
Method 2: Enter accounts receivable balance in Flare's opening balance form
Enter the total of all receivables into the Accounts Receivable field in Flare's opening balance form.
- Click the Settings gear icon in Flare’s top menu (1 below) and click
- Enter debit and/or credit balances in the Accounts Receivable field (3 below).