There are two methods for recording payables from your previous accounting sytem. In method 1, before entering other opening balances, record bills for each payable’s balance due. In method 2, while entering opening balances, record the total balance of all payables. We recommend the first method as you'll have accurate reports, can track payables by vendor, and record payments you make against individual payables.
Method 1: Record a bill for each payable’s balance due (recommended)
Things you’ll need:
- A list of payable balances due by vendor from your previous accounting system, including vendor name, due date and balance due.
- In Flare’s left menu, click Purchases > Bills (1, 2 below), then click the Create Bill button (3).
A bill form will open.
- On the Bill form, create a vendor on the fly (1 below), enter a purchase order number if applicable, and select a bill date and terms that are the same as they are for the unpaid bill in your previous accounting system. In the Item information form, enter an item name, description, and select a chart of accounts category (2), enter an amount and select or create a tax on the fly (3).
- Click Save.
Repeat these steps for each payable in your previous accounting system.
See Using Flare > Purchases > Record a bill for more detailed instructions.
Method 2: Enter accounts payables balance in Flare's opening balance form
Enter the total of all payables into the Accounts Payable field in Flare's opening balance form.
- Click the Settings gear icon in Flare’s top menu (1 below).
- Enter debit and/or credit balances in the Accounts Payable field (3 below).